When should you see a doctor for elbow pain?

The elbow is a fairly complex structure made up of bones and joints, ligaments and tendons, muscles and nerves. When all of these parts work together as they should, the elbow allows you to flex and extent from the joint and rotate your forearm and hand. The elbow’s main function is to provide mobility while stabilizing the lower arm and hand. 

When one or more parts of the elbow – or any of its surrounding structures – are injured or not working properly, you’re likely to experience elbow joint pain. While some elbow pain can be cured by home treatments, some elbow injuries do require treatment from a medical professional.

Elbow Anatomy

Elbow Pain Causes

One of the most common causes of elbow pain is overuse. Many occupations, sports, hobbies and workouts require repetitive motions of the hand, wrist or arm that can lead to a variety of overuse injuries. While tennis elbow and golfer’s elbow are common overuse injuries typically associated with their namesakes, you don’t have to be a tennis player or golfer to suffer from overuse injuries. 

Painters, plumbers, cooks, musicians and anyone whose work requires repetitive motions with the hand, wrist or arm may experience elbow pain. Likewise, elbow pain when lifting is common in people who regularly lift weights or move and lift things as part of their profession. 

What type of doctor do you see for elbow pain?

While some causes of elbow pain can be treated with simple home care and rest, both common elbow injuries and more serious elbow injuries from impact and trauma may require treatment by an elbow specialist. 

Orthopedic elbow specialists are medical doctors that treat the musculoskeletal system and have completed additional years of training focused specifically on the elbow. Depending on the injury and scope of treatment, evaluation by an orthopedic elbow surgeon may be necessary. 

Common Elbow Injuries

Tennis Elbow

Officially known as lateral epicondylitis, tennis elbow is a repetitive stress injury where inflammation and possible microtears in the tendons that connect the muscles in the forearm to the outside of the elbow cause outer elbow pain.

Golfer’s Elbow

Golfer’s elbow, or medial epicondylitis, is a repetitive stress injury similar to tennis elbow. Instead of outside elbow pain, golfer’s elbow causes inner elbow pain due to damage to the muscles and tendons that control the wrist and fingers. 

Ulnar Collateral Ligament Injury

The ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) stabilizes the inside of the elbow as it flexes and extends. UCL injuries are most often due to repetitive stress from overhead movement and are most common in athletes who compete in throwing sports. Baseball pitchers, in particular, suffer from UCL tears that require Tommy John surgery

Biceps and Triceps Tendinitis

Biceps and triceps tendon injuries can occur near the shoulder, in the muscle in the middle of the upper arm or in the tendons that connect the biceps and triceps to the elbow. Tendinitis occurs when one or more of the biceps or triceps tendons are irritated or injured. 


Osteoarthritis of the elbow is commonly a “wear and tear” injury where the cartilage surface of the elbow is worn down or damaged, causing pain and stiffness. Elbow osteoarthritis can also result from previous trauma, such as a dislocated elbow, fractured arm or elbow fracture. 

Cubital Tunnel Syndrome

Cubital tunnel syndrome (also known as ulnar nerve entrapment) occurs when the ulnar nerve, which passes through a tunnel of bone, ligament and muscle (cubital tunnel) on the inside of the elbow is irritated, swollen or inflamed. 

Stress Fractures

Blunt force trauma can cause stress fractures to the olecranon (the end of the ulna) at the point of the elbow. 

Dislocated Elbow

A dislocated elbow occurs when the bones of the forearm (ulna and radius) become out of place in relation to the upper arm bone (the humerus). These three bones meet at the elbow joint and most dislocations occur from blunt force trauma to the joint.

When to See a Doctor for Elbow Pain

If you have an obvious traumatic injury, such as a broken, protruding bone or a deformity in your elbow, you should seek emergency care. 

You should call an orthopedic elbow specialist if:

  • You’re having difficulty or are unable to move your elbow normally
  • You’re unable to use your arm or rotate your hand and wrist
  • You’re experiencing severe pain, bruising or swelling on or around your elbow joint

You should schedule an appointment with an elbow specialist if:

  • You’re experiencing pain even when you’re not using your arm
  • Your pain, swelling or redness increases
  • Your elbow pain doesn’t improve with RICE (see below)
  • The type of pain changes
  • There is new swelling, redness or a lump on or around your elbow
  • The pain returns when you resume normal activities 

Home Treatments

Depending on the injury, most elbow pain treatments can be done at home. The first step is to protect the elbow from further injury – which means limiting repetitive movements, lifting, etc.

Once the elbow is protected, follow the RICE protocol. 

Rest: Avoid the activity that caused the injury and stop all painful activities.
Ice: If the elbow is swollen, apply ice for 15 to 20 minutes one to three times a day to reduce swelling.
Compression: Follow icing with a compression bandage to help further reduce swelling. 
Elevation. Keep the hand, wrist and elbow elevated. 

If needed, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can be used to relive pain and bring down swelling. 

If you’re experiencing elbow pain and would like to talk to one of our orthopedic elbow surgeons, or if you have questions about your elbow injury, please contact us or comment below. 


Hi, I have recently started working out after a 5-year long break, I am 35 years old & considerably overweight now (123KG) and hasn’t been doing anything at all in the past 5 years.
As a start for my workout plans I’ve been doing 10-15 mins warmup exercises since last couple of days (stretching, jumping jacks, push-up etc), as for the push-up I was hardly able to complete 3 reps compared to 15-20 which i used to do in the past.
So yesterday after the warm-up I started push-workouts with light weight dumbbells (4KG) did around 2-3 sets (15reps) of flat bench press, overhead tricep press , close grip press & Arnold press. The plan was to just start with some light workouts but I think I messed up a little bit, the rush of working out after a long time kind of got me there.
Since today morning i am feeling a pain on the bursa area of my elbow joint, the pain is felt only when i overly stretch or bend my elbow. This is probably because of my overweight but I am not exactly sure which one caused it the poorly executed push-ups or excessive (for the current state of my body) dumbbell workouts.
I understand if the pain persists I need to see a doctor but if the pain fades away should I hold off weight training for a while or should I resume with lighter weights.


    Hi Nikhil,
    Two weeks of rest and ice is the first thing a doctor would recommend you try for this type of situation. During your two week rest period do not do any lifting over 5lbs with the affected arm. Ice your elbow daily, 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off.
    After your two week rest period, as long as the pain has resolved, slowly get back into lifting. Start with light weight and build up to heavier weight as your body allows. If you feel pain when trying heavier weights, you should go back down to a lighter weight until your body is stronger and able to handle more weight without getting injured.


I have bee working out with weights since i was in my early twenties, i am 54(M).
I have been having elbow pain, tennis elbow, on the outside of the elbow joint, radiating down my forearm.

The common tennis elbow strap helps with pain but i still carry on working out and using elbow support. During or after the exercise i dont feel much pain but recently i have taken a break , it has been three weeks since i went to the gym last and my pain on both elbows are getting worse. when i lift weights , i feel less pain and easy to move my elbow point.
But at the moment, the pain is there even if i move my arm slightly and it feels very stiff during the day.
Should i start exercising again to reduce the pain or am i just masking it?

Mr T Su


Hi. I dont do sports, work in a office, only doing the normal home choirs etc. About a month ago I started getting terrible sharp pains through my left elbow, since than my elbow is very sensitive to touch and very painfull. Ro straighten my arm is extremely painfull. I have not been able to do washing etc. What happened what can I do to stop the pain?


    The most common types of elbow injuries are non-traumatic and due to overuse. The pain occurs on the outside or inside of the elbow. This is where the wrist extensor and wrist flexor tendon bundles are, respectively. There are many on-line resources on how to stretch and strengthen these areas. Search for medial epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow) or lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow).


I slipped twice recently and fell on my right elbow,since then I’ve had pain when I use it,what is your advice?
Ps.ive had tingling but that is gone now


    if there is no significant elbow swelling give it time.


I’ve experienced an unusual elbow pain while sleeping only in the last 6 months. The pain is occasionally enough to wake me up. The pain is a deep, dry, arthritic ache in the outter elbow and pain will subside in 5-10 minutes. Any ideas what’s causing this?


    Hi Christina, if you’re experiencing elbow pain, particularly if it’s interrupting your sleep, there could be a multitude of factors at play. Tenderness in the elbow can be caused by a variety of conditions, including Tennis Elbow, Golfer’s Elbow, Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, Arthritis, and overuse.
    It’s crucial to schedule an appointment with a healthcare professional to obtain a correct diagnosis and discuss your symptoms in detail. Diagnostic tests, such as X-rays or an MRI, may be recommended to uncover the root cause of your elbow pain. Once the diagnosis is determined, treatment options may include rest, physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medications, bracing, or other interventions. Your healthcare provider can create a personalized treatment plan depending on their evaluation of your condition.


hi i Michael i have problem in left elbow from 15 years ago i can’t move any more


    Hi Michael,
    We’re sorry to hear about your elbow problem. It sounds like this has been a long-standing issue for you. While we can’t provide specific medical advice without a consultation, we recommend you seek the expertise of an orthopedic specialist. They can assess your condition and recommend appropriate treatment options to improve your elbow mobility and reduce discomfort.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You can now register in our new patient portal! Register Online
Hello. Add your message here.